The Nereids, according to Greek mythology, were nymphs that were personifying situations and characteristics of the sea. They were the daughters of Nyreas and Okeanidas Doridas and granddaughters of Okeanos. The Nereids lived in the bottom of the ocean, at the palace of their father. Their daily pastimes were swimming and playing with dolphins, sitting on golden thrones or rocks, singing and weaving or drying their rich long hair. The most known were Amfitriti, Thetis (the future mother of hero Achilleas), Psamathia (mother, of Eakos) and Galatia. Indeed, our Complex of Traditional Houses took its name from these mythical nymphs. Built in complete harmony with the local architecture and equipped with all the modern comforts, Nereids is sure to make your stay pleasant.
All traditional houses are equipped with:
Air-conditioning – Fully equipped kitchen & Fridge ,Satelite TV – Hair dryer – Flat iron
Free Internet,Free Parking
Verandas with a sea view.
Luxury Traditional Greek Villas
Amfitriti Sleeps 5
Thetis Sleeps 5
Oceanis Sleeps 6
Galatea Sleeps 6
Psamathe Sleeps 6
According to mythology, Odysseus was held on Lipsi for seven years under a spell of the sea nymph Calypso. Calypso was a nymph, the daughter of the Titan Atlas. She lived on the island of Ogygia. After the last of Odysseus' men had perished at sea, Odysseus himself was washed ashore on Ogygia, where Calypso became enamored of him, taking him as her lover and promising him immortality if he would stay with her. Odysseus refused her offer, wishing to return home to Ithaca and to his wife, Penelope. But Calypso refused to let him leave, and held him prisoner for seven years. Finally Athena complained of Odysseus' plight to Zeus, and Zeus sent Hermes to Ogygia to order Calypso to set Odysseus free. Calypso complied reluctantly, allowing Odysseus to construct a small boat and set sail from the island.
Lipsi is is a group of islands in the Southeast Aegean sea, they lie North of Leros and East of Patmos.The name of this group is also given to the main island as Lipsi or Lipso. This name is very ancient. It is encountered in the form Lipsia in various written historical records. As with all the islands in the Dodecanese group, so Lipsi appears to have been inhabited from prehistoric times continuing to recent times.
Around Lipsi lie 24 smaller mostly uninhabited islands with many pristine beaches. The village of Lipsi lies approximately in the centre of the island with its harbour located in a scenic bay. Lipsi is famous for its beautiful beaches, fine seafood and local dishes, the island also produces local agricultural products including meats, fruits,vegetables, cheese, wines, honey etc.
The history of Lipsi is inseparable from the history of the larger neighboring islands and especially that of Patmos.
Lipsi seems to have been inhabited from pre-historic times until today. Clay pots and inscriptions dating back to classical times have been found on various parts of the island. In 1370 B.C. the Kares inhabit the island while 170 years later, the Dorians occupy the island around 1200 B.C. After them, the Ionians take over the rule for several decades.
Remains and various findings that were found on a hill, testify that around the 4th century B.C. there must have existed a small town up since the location was a natural castle. In 730 A.D.
Museums - Libraries:
The Ecclesiastic and Folklore Museum, right in the centre of the settlement of Lipsoi, featuring religious icons fron the 16th and 17th century, crosses and gold-embroidered religious vestments from the 17th century , local costumes, traditional utensils and coins from various periods. Also on show at this museum is a minor collection of so-called random findings.
Noteworthy is the fragment of a marble Ionian style capital from the 4th Century BC and certain oil lamps from the 3d Century BC.
There is a lending library operated on the island of Lipsoi, hosted and sponsored by UNESCO.
Churches and monasteries
There are several small churches and monasteries scattered around the island. So many are they, in fact, that the saying according to which there is one church for each family in Lipsi might just as well be justified.
Panaghia of Charos , one of the oldest and most remarkable on the island, was built in around 1600. The church takes its name - the Virgin of Death - from a remarkable icon it contains, in which the Virgin is depicted holding the dead body of the crucified Christ in her arms. Since 1943 the church has been renowned for what is known as the miracle of the lilies. It all began in April 1943, when the local people had placed in front of the icon some white lilies. A few weeks later the flowers, which had withered and died, suddelny began to revive and put forth buds. By the time of the festival of the Virgin on August 23 the buds had blossomed into full-grown lilies, just as if it were April again. The miracle has occurred regularly each year since then, and on August 23rd each year the faithful come to the church in droves to honour the majesty of the Virgin and to marvel at the miracle.
The church of AGHIOS IOANNIS THEOLOGOS (the island's largest church).
The church of KIMISI TIS THEOTOKOU (located in a little harbour named in honor of the church).
PANAGIA OF KOUSELIO church (built on the foundations of a pre-christian temple).
The two churches of ST. NICHOLAS located on either side of the harbour .
The church of ST. THEOLOGOS of MOSCHATO.
The church of PROFITIS ILIAS.
The church of ST. NEKTARIOS.
Lipsi has a natural port ideal for private crafts and a small but modern and fully equipped marina. Here every summer are gathering the lovers of open sea that find all modern comforts in the island.
Options for swimming, diving and fishing are many. You can enjoy your swim in a small “private” beach or small coves. You can either take a boat to marine caves of unique beauty.
There are small uninhabited islands around Lipsi, an ideal refuge for rare species of birds.
The island is ideal for long walks. Follow the cobblestone hilly “Path of Dormition” of 1km length that connects two churches and the only natural beauties of the island. Of course there are other natural paths – routes that lead to historic churches and mountain peaks with breathtaking view.
Lipsi is first and foremost an island for relaxing, but bring snorkelling gear or perhaps a fishing rod, the waters are very clear and seafloor interesting. There are excursion boats that can take you to some of the beaches and the surrounding little islands.
The locals are occupied with agriculture, animal farming and fishing. All the local products are of exceptional quality. In the south of the island are wineries, which produce the delicious local black wine. The main activity however is tourism, infrastructure for which is satisfactory and is continuously being upgraded. Water is in short supply, however recent works including the sinking of wells, construction of a reservoir and a new water supply network meet the needs of the local and visitors
Tel.:(+30) 210 4582640, 210 4511720
Tel.:(+30) 210 4115015
Tel.:(+30) 210 4145700
BLUE STAR Ferries
Tel.:(+30) 210 4119171
Tel.:(+30) 210 4141301
Tel.:(+30) 210 4197420
Tel.:(+30) 22410 70590
30 is the country code.
22470 is the area code.
Town hall ……….…………….41209, 41206, 41333, 41411
Police station …………………...41222
Harbour master ………………….41133
Municipal refuelling facility ……41101
Paireus: (+30) 210 4226000-4
Leros: (+30) 22470 22224
Patmos: (+30) 22470 34131
Rhodes: (+30) 22410 28666
Kos: (+30) 22420 26594.